Yes, you heard me right, its National Financial Literacy Month, and we voice-over actors need to wake up and smell the derivatives. Ok, “residuals” is a more attention-grabbing financial word, but this month offers us a good excuse to step out of the booth and examine the financial side of our business.
National Financial Literacy Month, established in 2004 by the US Senate, grew out of the National Literacy for Youth Month started by the Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy in 2000. The goal of this endeavor is to stress the importance of becoming knowledgeable about personal finance so that one can control their financial destiny. This couldn’t be more important in the current economic climate, and it couldn’t be more important for freelancers like voice-over actors.
In addition to the above, here are some resources to investigate in celebration of Financial Literacy Month:
- Freelancetaxation.com – a site by financial planner, Susan Lee, which has a wealth of information on taxes for freelancers, artists, writers and psychotherapists
- MyMoney.gov – a website from the US Government with lots of information and tools to assist with financial planning.
- Personal Financial Planner – find a good one, like Joe Templin, certified financial planner and author of, among other titles, “Financial Mistakes of New College Grads” an audio book I recently narrated. “FMNCG” is now be available on iTunes – a great gift idea for all the college grads you will be watching cross a stage next month!
Leave a Reply
About VO Meter
As an important device in the world of audio engineering and voice-over (VO), the VU Meter serves as the inspiration for monitoring and measuring the voice-over industry over time via the "VO Meter" blog. Subscribe to the “VO Meter” via RSS feeds or receive email updates and be treated to a bit of voice-over history and trivia with each entry.
Blog Author: Kevin Readdean, Voice Talent, KevinsVoice.com
VO Meter recent blog posts
- Audiobook Interview
November 29, 2012
- Olympic Sized Audiobooks
August 1, 2012
- Star Wars Voice-over World Record
January 22, 2012
- Was there a VO in your summer vacation?
September 9, 2011
- June is Audiobook Month
June 1, 2011
- Financial Literacy Month – For Voice-Overs?
April 26, 2011
- To the Bat Cave!
February 10, 2011
- Super Bowl weekend or Super Voice-over Weekend?
February 8, 2011
- A Ghost of Dickens Present
December 19, 2010
- Surely, you can’t be serious?
December 1, 2010